May 30, 2020
May’s Blog Audit Challenge 2020
This year I’m participating in Blog Audit Challenge 2020 hosted by Jo Linsdell. The plan is to work on making our blogs even better and setting our goals for the coming months. Each month will have its own challenge to work through. Join us!
I hope that if you are reading this that you continue to be well and that your area is starting to open up for business with social distancing precautions.
May’s Challenge focuses on Search Engine Optimization (SEO):
SEO is something I continue to work on, and I find it becomes more routine over time. Keywords are a critical component of SEO.
1. Key Words in Headlines
- Key words are the words that individuals put in the search bar to search for content.
- Key words are the most important component of SEO.
- Identifying key words is a critical first step in creating content. Think about what people would search for in order to find your content. Various apps are available to help you find optimal key words. I have never used this option, so I can’t offer a recommendation. A search on Pinterest will result in more articles than you could ever use on SEO and Key Words.
- Reviewing books makes the selection of key words easier because the book title in my heading is also my key word(s).
- In addition to showing up in the title of the post, key words need to appear (naturally) throughout the content of the post. At first, it was easy to include my key word(s) in my post title but I had to make a conscious effort to sprinkle the key words throughout the content. So in place of using a term like “this book,” I had to form the habit of replacing these phrases with the book title. Using key words becomes even more effective when you can use them in subheadings.
2. Labels, Tags, and Descriptions